Old Fort Niagara
Visitor's Center Renovation
Restoration and adaptive reuse of existing storage facility into a Visitor's Center that supports a 300 year old historical fort at the mouth of the Niagara River at Lake Ontario. This renovated building is a state-of-the art reception facility with an orientation theatre/classroom, exhibit space, restrooms and a museum shop. The centerpiece of the facility is the conserved historical 1812 garrison flag measuring 24' x 28' that flew over the fort before its capture by the British in the War of 1812.
This flag is one of the oldest surviving United States flags and is a fine example of the Fifteen-Star, Fifteen-Stripe Flags authorized by Congress in 1795.
The historical flag required an appropriate space that would accommodate a special temperature and humidity controlled enclosure. The flag is displayed on an inclined and cushioned anti-acidic surface that allows for periodic cleaning and inspection. LED light fixtures provide less than 5 footcandles of light on the flag, minimizing heat and U.V. radiation.